Saturday 9 April 2016

Research into Chanel editorials

Seeing as I am going to be creating my own editorial for Chanel, I have decided to research previous spring/summer editorials.


Karlie Kloss for Vogue Mexico. (December 2015).



Staff . (2015). Karlie Kloss Flaunts Her Legs in Vogue Mexico Feature Read more: http://www.fashiongonerogue.com/karlie-kloss-vogue-mexico-legs-editorial/#ixzz461qBPo9g. Available: http://www.fashiongonerogue.com/karlie-kloss-vogue-mexico-legs-editorial/. Last accessed 16th March 2016.
Here is an example of Chanel a Chanel editorial, this was a feature for Vogue Mexico magazine. I really liked this images and they really stood out to me. The styling of these images was very Chanel and I think that by looking at them you can tell they are from that brand. The image at the bottom is referencing the two piece suits that Chanel is famous for whereas the right image is typical of a Chanel look with the tweed two piece and the left image is probably suggesting that Chanel is a luxury brand due to the fur. The colours are all from the Chanel colour palette (the black, white, pink and nude.  I feel the left image is referencing how tall the model is as she is sat on a ladder which then elongates her legs and arms. Overall I like the poses of the model, the image at the bottom shows off the models shirt very well and her facial expression throughout is quite sultry and play full. These images were the sort of thing I was expecting to see from a Chanel editorial, however I am unsure yet whether or not I would like to focus on the makeup the most in my editorial images, or to experiment with styling and create something that is not just a close up image like these ones.


Staff . (2015). BRIGITTE DOES CHANEL. Available: http://whatwouldkarldo.com/brigitte-bardot-editorial/. Last accessed 16th March 2016.
Here is an image taken from an editorial starring Brigitte Bardot, styled in Chanel. As you can see once again a suit style jacket has been used in the styling for this editorial. The hair had been styled to have the Chanel logo in which I really like, I feel this looks quite regal as a contrast to the models hair which is quite messy. The pose of the model is quite carefree and has a lot of attitude, she seems as though she does not care which was probably something to do with the copy that went with the full editorial. The background looks like an office to me, however you cannot really see and the lighting has been used to create a shadow behind the model and illuminate her face. 

Gustashaw, M . (2015). Lily-Rose Depp’s Epic Chanel Campaign Has Arrived. Available: http://thezoereport.com/entertainment/celebrities/lily-rose-depps-epic-chanel-campaign-has-arrived/. Last accessed 16th March 2016.
This editorial feels spring/summer to me because of the sunglasses and the blue background, I feel it looks like a clear sky and the sun should be somewhere in the distance. The styling of the model portrays Chanel because of the white, the lace and the collar whereas the glasses portray Chanel due to them having pearls all around them. I like how big the sunglasses are as they seem to hide the models expression which I think makes the focus all on the clothes. The majority of this editorial makes me think its for spring/summer however the colour of the lipstick does not and reminds me of a fall/winter colour. Finally I think the messy hair style looks nice against the clean cut jacket the model is wearing. 
Bologna, D . (2015). staff . (2015 ). Nadja Bender by Victor Demarchelier for Vogue Japan. Available: https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/304274518550234879/. Last accessed 16th March 2016.. Available: http://www.dariobologna.com/portfolio/summer-in-chanel/. Last accessed 16th March 2016.
Here is another Chanel editorial, this one was from a series titled 'Summer in Chanel', I liked this editorial due to the poses of the model, I like how they have chosen to place the three images next to each other during post production. One of the main things that stood out to me was the colour of the models hair against the white background. The styling is once again very Chanel due to the suit jacket. Throughout researching the types of editorials that Chanel does it has become apparent that they are styled to be wearing a two piece suit the majority of the time, this is probably something that I will use in the styling of my two editorial images as this is often the main signifier that Chanel has styled the editorial image. 

staff . (2015 ). Nadja Bender by Victor Demarchelier for Vogue Japan.Available: https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/304274518550234879/. Last accessed 16th March 2016.
I liked this editorial image as to me it felt very summery. I liked how the dress the model is wearing looks like something you could wear in the summer, however still fits with the Chanel theme. I found this image a little confusing, this is because the model is holding a surfboard yet she does not seem to be on the beach and instead seems to be at a country house from the background. Another element of this image I liked was the fact that the image feels summery yet they have not used the typical lighting for a spring/summer editorial and instead they have gone for a black and white image. Using black and white for editorial images appeals to me as I like how they look different to advertising images. To me they feel stronger as they are free to incorporate unusual poses and styling throughout. I will definitely be experimenting with black and white images for my editorials. 

staff. (2015). Chanel Spring/ Summer 2015 editorial. Available: https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/20547742026948626/. Last accessed 16th March 2016.
This image was what I expected to see when researching Chanel editorials, the styling is over the top which is a feature that most editorial images embrace. The clashing patterns shouldn't work, however they do which is something that I find is the case with many editorials. This image feels spring/summery to me due to the bright colours and the pattern of the shoes. The pose of the model shows off every item of clothing she is wearing even the way her foot is placed to present the boot. The styling of the model in terms of the hair and makeup has been left very basic, there does not seem to be a lot going on which looks to have been done as the main focus of the image is definitely on the clothing. This is a very strong and in your face editorial, however is something that would be difficult to recreate due to the type of patterns of the clothing and the colours. 

staff . (2015). Kate King for Vogue Mexico May 2015 - CHANEL Spring 2015. Available: https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/555209460289311688/. Last accessed 16th March 2016.
This editorial image stood out to me due to the colours of the clothing, everything in the image has been left neutral and beige whereas the models clothing is very bright and colourful. I find that Chanel's spring/summer editorials often contrast what you would expect to be spring or summer. For instance the model is wearing knee high boots and an oversized coat which you may not wear in those seasons, yet the print of flowers and being in the bright colours are what you would expect to see. This image is clearly Chanel due to the background looking like it is in Paris, the lighting has been used on the models face and does not seem to be on much else. I liked the pose of the model, she seems very strong and powerful, this may be due to her comparison to the dog she is walking. 
staff . (2016). GIGI HADID WORKS IT IN CHANEL LOOKS FOR VOGUE PARIS Read more: http://www.fashiongonerogue.com/gigi-hadid-chanel-vogue-paris-2016-photos/#ixzz4624ywrEZ. Available: http://www.fashiongonerogue.com/gigi-hadid-chanel-vogue-paris-2016-photos/. Last accessed 16th March 2016.

I then decided to research some beauty editorials by Chanel as I have not yet decided if I will go for a more fashion based editorial or a more beauty based one. As Chanel is a fashion brand that has their own beauty range there is a lot of choice on what images I would like to create. 

staff. (2015). COLLECTION MÉDITERRANÉE SUMMER 2015 COLLECTION. Available: http://www.chanel.com/en_US/fragrance-beauty/summer-2015-collection-139487. Last accessed 16th March 2016.
Here is the first image I found, this image makes me think of summer due to the brightness of the image and the colours. The models hair looks very shiny in the light and the yellow behind her reminds me of the sun. The way the model is posing makes me think of summer because she is shielding her eyes from the sun, also there seems to be some plants behind her that look to be pam trees. Furthermore this image portrays summer as the model looks to be sun bathing or laying on a sun bed. I like the makeup from this shoot, the models skin looks glowing and I like the purple eye liner against the red lipstick and nail varnish. 

staff. (2012). Nicolas Jurnjack styles hair for "Chanel" in 10 Magazine, Summer Autumn, 2012. Available: https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/85498092896341960/. Last accessed 16th March 2016.
This is another image from Chanel beauty that I really liked. The image is clearly a summer editorial because of the pool in the background. This is something I would like to recreate as I feel this will convey the summer message I am looking for. The pose of the model is very 'beauty editorial' as the pose shows off all of the makeup she is wearing. I really like this image as the skin is once again flawless and the bright pink lipstick looks nice against the blue background. I like that the model is not wearing too much eye makeup, she is simply wearing mascara which does not take away from the lipstick and is not overpowering the image. The fact the model has no hair on her face makes the image look as though she has just got out of the water which I think adds to the effect. 

Pozzan, M . (2015). CHANEL LAUNCHES EYEWEAR E-COMMERCE.Available: http://www.itssuperfashion.com/2015/11/chanel-launches-eyewear-e-commerce/. Last accessed 16th March 2016.
Here is an editorial I found about Chanel launching their brand of sunglasses. This image looks Chanel to be because of the preppy clothing and the colours. The black, white and red are all typical of Chanel and have been a theme throughout everything I have looked at to do with the brand whether or not this be clothing, makeup, advertising or packaging. The pose of the model shows off the sunglasses well as she is tilting her head slightly to the right towards the camera, the pose is quite confident and leads me to think that the message is that you can be anyone behind the sunglasses making the model confident.
staff. (2015 ). La Collection L'Eté Papillon de CHANEL. Available: https://za.pinterest.com/pin/398005685790098003/. Last accessed 16th March 2016.
This editorial image felt very summery to me because of all the colours and the bright lighting. I think this would be the type of image I would ideally like to create as it showcases the makeup skills. The bright colours make me think of summer and the turquoise and blue remind me of the current SS16 trends. This may be a look that I will go for as I feel it is fun and playful.


staff. (2012). Chanel Beauty 10 Magazine Summer/Autumn 2012.Available: http://www.artpartner.com/news/?gallerypost=chanel-beauty. Last accessed 16th March 2016.
This is another summer editorial by Chanel beauty. The bottom image depicts summer to me because of the 'sweaty' looking skin. The bright orange lipstick is a colour that I like and will probably use in my editorials as it is a bright summery colour. Another thing that makes me think of summer when I look at this image would be that the model seems to be squinting due to the light also the bright blue background looks to be a hot summers day. Finally this look says summer to me because the models hair seems to be wet or sweaty, she could have just come from the pool or be very hot. The models eye makeup looks to be smudged which could be inferred to be from the pool or from the hot weather. I feel this image is typical of summer editorials as they often feature wet looking skin and slick backed hair. The wet look has been a trend throughout the last couple of years when it came to summer.


staff. (2015). A Private Obsession: Enly Tammela by Jamie Nelson in Chanel for No Tofu Read more: http://www.fashiongonerogue.com/chanel-beauty-jamie-nelson-no-tofu/#ixzz462BhfctV. Available: http://www.fashiongonerogue.com/chanel-beauty-jamie-nelson-no-tofu/. Last accessed 16th March 2016.
Finally I looked at these editorial images. I did not like the first image but I think this is because I prefer 'pretty' beauty images rather than very avant-garde and out there images. The helmet in the bottom image is very Chanel due to the pearls on it, the brand name is also reflected in this as it has the logo on it. An element of the image I do like is the silvery glitter on the eyes as this reminds me of one of the pervious catwalk shows. I am not too fond of the top image as I did not like the hair, however placing the logo all over the face looks quite clever. The skin looks very nice in the top image and another element that I thought was good was the name Chanel over the cat eyeliner.

No comments:

Post a Comment