Saturday 5 March 2016

Research into SS16 trends: Hair.

When researching how I will want the makeup and hair to look for my catwalk looks I decided it would be valuable to research the hair trends from different catwalk shows as well as the makeup. Hair is not something that I am usually confident with and I always find that the overall look of my shoots I am happy with, although the hair always seems lacking and still unprofessional. In order to avoid the disappointment that I am often faced with when looking back on my shoots I felt that researching the trends and therefore gaining knowledge on how hair has been styled for catwalk shows would give me a better chance in achieving my desired level of professionalism for my own catwalk shoot.

Throughout the SS16 catwalk shows there were a lot of hair styles that I expected to see, such as messy undone hair and tight buns, however throughout my research I found a lot of hair styles that I did not expect such as using glitter/sequins in the hair.

SS16 HAIR TRENDS:
Glitter hair.
An example of using glitter in the hair would be this look from Ashish.
Odabash, M. (2016 ). LFW SS16 trends . Available: http://www.odabash.com/blog/designer-swimwear-news/friday-fix-lfw-ss16-the-make-up-trend-round-up/. Last accessed 4th March 2016 

I like this look that has been achieved by placing sequins in the hair, I feel as though what I can see from the styling this works well with the overall show. I also like how it looks with the eye makeup which has again been achieved using sequins. At first glance I thought the look may be a little overpowering, however when looking closer I found the look to actually be very pretty, the simple gloss on the lips and the fact that the model is not wearing any mascara is all very demure which paves way for the bold sequins on the eye lids.


ACCESSORIES:
Another trend I found was predominant throughout the SS16 shows was accessories in the hair, an example of this would be this look from Valentino.
Lucy . (2016). Couture week: SS16 trends . Available: http://mascarawars.com/couture-week-makeup-ss16/. Last accessed 4th March 2016 .

I like this look as I feel the gold works really well with the models skin tone. The accessory that has been added to the hair seems to work well with the jewellery in the collection. I feel that this look has a sense of Egyptian royalty to it and reminds me of Cleopatra, I believe that this is due to the snake in the hair, the shapes of the necklace and the fact that it is gold. The hair has been styled in a half up half down way with a centred parting, there looks to have been curls added to the back of the hair. I think that by having a soft half up half down hairstyle this balances the strength of the accessories. 

Another example of hair accessories would be this look from DVF.
Elwood, K . (2016). NYFW SS16 TRENDS. Available: http://www.katieelwood.com/blog/2015/9/makeup-monday-nyfw-ss16. Last accessed 4th March 2016

I feel as though this look really embodies Spring/Summer. I really liked this look and found that I felt quite cheerful and happy when I saw it. The flowers in the hair remind me of being on holiday and Hawaii which is something that holds connotations of hot weather and summer. The curls in the hair are a very nice touch and I feel that the side parting works well with the flowers that have been added. Finally I feel that the pastel colour of the flowers works well with the colour of the eye makeup.

Finally a nice example of adding accessories to the hair would be this look from Chanel.
Jamilitas, J . (2016 ). Three SS16 looks that will make for a chic halloween. Available: https://blushlondon.co.uk/2015/10/19/three-ss16-looks-that-will-make-for-a-chic-halloween/. Last accessed 4th March 2016 .

This hair style was very fitting with the overall look of the Chanel show. The show had a futuristic sleek meets traveller look which I was quite fond of. A lot of the accessories throughout the collection and the clothing included silver which has been reflected by the choice of head bands. I feel that this strong statement piece of head wear was a good contrast next to the relaxed low, messy pony tails that it was added to and overall brought the whole look together successfully.

UPDOS:
First example of a updo would be the croissant shaped chingon from Chanel.
Staff . (2016 ). Chanel . Available: http://laurenjdegraaf.tumblr.com/page/7. Last accessed 4th March 2016 .

I loved this look when I first saw it,  it looks very regal and sheek and was styled immaculately. The hair has been styled in a centre parting which I feel worked well with the chignon as it kept the whole look very structured and tidy. There has been nothing added to the hair in terms of accessories and this I feel keeps the whole aesthetic of the look clean cut and effortless. 

Another example of an updo would be this hair style from Zac posen. 

Kim, H . (2016). The best beauty looks from NYFW SS16. Available: http://cometrend.com/?p=5836. Last accessed 4th March 2016

This look feels very classic to me, I believe this is due to the model wearing black and having a red lip and the low bun. I feel that this looks seems very sleek yet effortless. This hair style and overall look reminds me of an English rose sort of character with the pale skin and minimal makeup apart from the flash of colour on the lips. The hair having a side parting gives this look a different twist as many of the hair styles have included a center parting. 

Furthermore an example of up do hair on the catwalk would be this 'space buns' look from BCBG.
Kim, H . (2016). The best beauty looks from NYFW SS16. Available: http://cometrend.com/?p=5836. Last accessed 4th March 2016

 Once again this brand has chosen to go with a centre parting. To me this hair style is very youthful and playful, it reminds me of being a little girl and having your hair in little buns or pig tails. I feel this look works well with the makeup, the buns add a slight soft touch to the harshness of the black eyeliner and the skin has been kept fresh looking and young. 

Finally a twist on the traditional bun would be this look from Ryan Roche. 
Fashion Princess. (2016 ). Get the Look: Ryan Roche SS16 . Available: http://fashiontrendseeker.com/2015/09/14/get-the-look-ryan-roche-ss16-hair-makeup/. Last accessed 4th March 2016 

This look stood out to me as I hadn't seen anything like it when researching the SS16 hair trends. I feel that by leaving the big chunk of hair to the right hand side out of the bun this looks quite harsh and has a sense of being very undone and looks as though they need another hair band to hold all the hair in. I liked this look in terms of being different and innovative however I am more of a fan of the classic shapes and styles and I do not think this would be something I would look to re-create for my own catwalk looks. 

MESSY HAIR:
Previously there was a large number of designers choosing to style the hair very tight and slicked back with no stray hairs, however during my research I have noticed that many designers this year had chosen to go with a more relaxed look when it came to the hair. For instance SS16 saw a lot of messy beach hair and the trend of being 'undone'. I have also noticed a lot of the plats being tight however with a lot of stray hairs giving them a messy look that almost looks like they have slept in the hair.
An example of a messy plat would be this look from Alexander McQueen.


Tunell, A. (2016). Best Beauty Looks From Paris Spring 2016.Available: http://www.harpersbazaar.com/beauty/makeup/g6283/best-hair-makeup-paris-fashion-week-spring-2016/?slide=6. Last accessed 4th March 2016.
Staff. (2016). Alexander McQueen SS16 Hair . Available: https://freshupbar.wordpress.com/2015/10/04/alexander-mcqueen-spring-2016/2-3/. Last accessed 4th March 2016.

The hair stylist behind this look said that the hair was inspired by when you ''work thread though a machine and pull it tightly, as you sew the sections up and down and back and fourth they all knot and when you pull it becomes this subtle, woven artisanal thing'' - Guido, HarpersBazaar.com.
This hair really appeals to me, I like it because it looks very fantasy like, something expected when watching a McQueen show. I also like that this hair feels romantic, the looseness and the texture of the hair remind me of films set in another world, such as The Lord of The Rings. Finally I like this look as I feel it is very different to what was expected on the catwalk as I expected to see quite structured hair, however this is not and therefore stands out to me.

Swansan, M . (2016). Couture SS16:Dramatic, Classical Beauty .Available: http://oliviapalermo.com/couture-ss16-dramatic-classical-beauty/. Last accessed 4th March 2016

This look again reminds me of a fantasy world. This style although similar to the one from Alexander McQueen, reminds me more of a Gladiator warrior, this is due to the gold and silver accessories that have been added to the hair. I like this look, however it is not something that I feel would be very Chanel and therefore I do not think I will be recreating a style like this for my catwalk hair styles.
Hannah. (2016). The best beauty looks from NYFW SS16. Available: http://cometrend.com/?p=5836. Last accessed 4th March 2016.

A different example of the messy hair trend on the catwalk would be this pony tail from Kate Spade. This look to me feels very Spring/Summer. I like the pink colour on the lips and the way the hair looks as though it has just been thrown into a quick pony tail. This hair look stood out to me as all the previous pony tails I have seen have been gelled back really tight, however the stylists from this show have allowed the natural soft hairs to fall down and be loose. Finally I liked this look because of the way it looks very simple and effortless. 

Finally an example of the messy hair trend on the SS16 catwalk would be this look from Topshop Unique.

This hair reminds me of beach hair and has probably not had that much done to achieve this effect. There would have probably been a lot of backcombing gone into this to create the style and to allow the hair told hold. I feel that this look is quite grungy and is something that seems to suit Topshop Unique. I am not that keen on this look as I feel like it seems as though they haven't put a lot of effort into the hair, however this will probably have been intentional and to fit with the collection.

PLATS AND TWISTS:
Throughout my research I have noticed a lot of plats and twists in the hair. Examples of this would be the looks from Valentino and Alexander McQueen that I have already described, however I was drawn to this look from Nicole Miller.

Miller, N . (2016). Best Of Beauty, Our Favourite Backstage Moments.Available: http://www.nicolemiller.com/le-blogue/?p=5234. Last accessed 4th March 2016 .

This look is very different and unlike anything I has come across when looking into the SS16 trends. The way the hair has been twisted gives the impression of dreadlocks and is something that is very interesting to look at and I like the outcome of the texture of the hair. Although I can appreciate the work that had gone into creating all the individual twists in the hair, I am not that keen on the overall appearance of this look as I feel it is a little too harsh for my taste, however this look was very clever and eye catching.

Furthermore an example of twisting the hair would be this look from Celine.
Tunell, A. (2016). Best Beauty Looks From Paris Spring 2016.Available: http://www.harpersbazaar.com/beauty/makeup/g6283/best-hair-makeup-paris-fashion-week-spring-2016/?slide=6. Last accessed 4th March 2016.

This look stood out to me as I like the way the whole thing is still very clean cut. I feel this hair style was very well executed and may be something I try and recreate for my own future work. This look appeals to me as when I look at it, it seems like a very sporty inspired hairstyle, however the collection is quite clean cut and structured so to me the hair is a nice contrast. By creating hair like this I feel as though it is not taking away from the makeup or the front of the clothing, however is a nice addition to when the models turn around on the catwalk.







No comments:

Post a Comment