Saturday 12 March 2016

Advertising CHANEL NO.5 perfume.

As I will be advertising Chanel No.5 perfume for my night look advertisement, I have decided to research some of the pervious advertisements by Chanel for the perfume. This will help me to understand the type of poses, styling, hair and makeup and props that I am looking to create for my own advertisement. 

Estella Warren for Chanel, 1999. 

Bremner, C . (2012). European scientists target perfume over allergy-inducing evils. Available: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/europe/article3591048.ece. Last accessed 12th March 2016.
Daily Mail Reporter . (2012). Want to know what it's like to be seduced by Brad Pitt? . Available: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2217822/Beseeching-monologue-revealed-4m-Chanel-No-5-campaign-.html. Last accessed 12th March.
Estella Warren, photographed by Jean-Paul Goude for Chanel No.5 advertising campaign in 2000. Photograph: Jean- Paul Goude, Chanel 2000 (insidechanel.com).

This was the Chanel advertisement in 1999 starring Estella Warren. These images relate well to the video advertisement as the actress has been styled in the same way as what she had been in the video footage. I like the top image as having all the bottles is another way to drum the product into consumers minds and is a nice change to simply having a model pose with the product. The hair and makeup from these images is very sweet and innocent looking and I presume the actress has been styled to look like 'the girl next door' and to enhance her natural beauty, this seems to be a trend with Chanel advertising as the models never seem to have heavy makeup on. The red from the clothing contrasts this persona of an innocent girl as this colour holds connotations of danger, sex, love, lust and blood, however this is a colour that is fitting with 'the colours of Chanel' which the consumer would be accustomed to seeing and therefore acts as iconography for the brand. The bottom image was from 2000 featuring the same actress. This advertisement was very different to the other two and I feel as though I liked it much more. The colours featured in the image are still fitting with Chanel, however the pink feels a lot stronger than the other pink colours used in the adverts, the black and nude however are standard. An element that stood out to me from this advertisement was the dress that the actress was wearing seemed to be the liquid from the bottle, this seems to be promoting the idea of not wearing anything but Chanel No.5. The actress is the dominant figure in this image however the bottle has again been used as a prop. Overall out of the three images I found of the actress advertising the perfume, this was my favourite as it was different to anything I had previously seen.

Staff . (2015 ). GISELE BUNDCHEN GOES TOPLESS FOR CHANEL.Available: http://www.fashiongonerogue.com/gisele-bundchen-topless-chanel-no-5-ad-campaign/. Last accessed 12th March 2016
Joseph . (2014). Giselle Bündchen Signs With Chanel No. 5. Available: http://www.refinedguy.com/2014/05/27/gisele-bundchen-signs-with-chanel-no-5/. Last accessed 12th March 2016.

The next advertisements I looked at was Giselle Bündchen for Chanel, 2014. I liked these two images, in particular the top image as I like the elegance in the pose. The top image is very much what you would expect from a fragrance advertisement in the fact that it is quite sexualised, the model is nude and holding the oversized bottle of perfume to cover herself. Once again the styling of the image has been made to look natural. The model looks to be wearing minimal makeup, her cheeks have been lightly blushed, she is wearing a pink lipstick and her hair is loose. This advert seems to be going for the 'just out of bed look' giving the message that no preening is needed in order for the model to look good, which may be the message the brand is trying to get across to the audience. This image could also link to Marilyn Monroe's famous statement that she only wears Chanel No.5 to bed as the model is nude, the brand is essentially saying the wearer needs nothing else but Chanel No.5 to stand out. The bottom image reminds me more of a makeup advertisement than a perfume, however I am yet to know if there is actually a difference. I like the way the wind has been added to the model as this makes her hair look very long and shiny. Once again she seems to be wearing minimal makeup and the colours from the Chanel colour palette. I do not think I like the placement of the bottle on this advert as I feel it takes away from the model and should have been placed on the opposite side as it looks too crowded to me.
Staff . (2014). TBT | Five Chanel No. 5 Campaigns – From Brad Pitt to Nicole Kidman Read more: http://www.fashiongonerogue.com/chanel-no-5-ad-campaign-brad-pitt-nicole-kidman/#ixzz44tKUyPqA. Available: http://www.fashiongonerogue.com/chanel-no-5-ad-campaign-brad-pitt-nicole-kidman/. Last accessed 12th March 2016.


Nicole Kidman for Chanel, 2004. Once again this advertisement is a standard Chanel advert, the colours, the type of model, the pose and the styling. I believe this is why Chanel is such an easily recognisable brand, the structure of the advertisements is the same, they simply change the face of the brand. This image fits with the video that goes with it as the overall look of the model is very glam, she seems to be wearing the dress from the video and her earrings look quite flash. Her hair has been curled which gives a soft look to go with the understated makeup. I prefer the positioning of the bottle in this image as it does not over shadow the model, yet is in a position that it is instantly noticeable in. I liked the bottom images a lot more than the top one as I feel this is the kind of image I am looking to recreate. I think this looks more like a night look as the styling is all dark whereas the top image seems to be more of a day look advert to me. I like the styling of this advertisement as it is not overly sexualised as the model is only showing her back, I also think the way they have placed the brand on the necklace as this is an elegant touch. 
Daily Mail Reporter . (2013). 'I said No. 5 because it's the truth!' Marilyn Monroe reflects on her favorite bedtime ritual for new Chanel ad - using an unearthed audio recording from 1960 Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/fe. Available: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2487950/Marilyn-Monroe-reflects-favorite-bedtime-ritual-new-Chanel-No-5-ad.html. Last accessed 12th March 2016.

This advertisement stood out to me because I liked the contrast between the black and white image. This image does not need any text on it because the product is so recognisable with Monroe. The styling would be fitting with the time, I like how the photographer has captured where Monroe's strap has fallen down as I feel this gives the impression the image has been taken off guard. The pose of Monroe is very standard for her as she exuded femininity and sex. 
Carole Bouquet, photographed by Dominique Issermann for Chanel No.5 advertising campaign in 1997. Photo: Dominique Issermann Chanel 1997. (insidechanel.com).

Here is another advertising campaign by Chanel for the No.5 perfume in 1997. The image has been shot in black and white, this makes the colour image of the bottle stand out to the viewer. I do not think I like the way the bottle has been placed in this image as I feel it looks too small, however it seems to be standing on the edge of whatever the model is laying on so this was more than likely the idea they were going for. The model is wearing silk pajamas, this makes reference to Chanel being the first thing the wearer thinks about or puts on when they wake up. The hair is once again loose giving that 'just woken up' look and the makeup from what I can see seems to be subtle and not overpowering.
Here is another image from the same campaign this time in 1996. This is more of a fun advertisement, however still fits with the general theme of No.5 advertising. This image portrays to the viewer that the model is happy to have the perfume, she is holding the bottle close to her with a big smile on her face. The styling with the earrings relates to Chanel being a luxury brand as they seem to be pearls which are always associated with wealth and class. Again the model seems to be 'nude' and she is wearing natural looking makeup and hair, this is a feature not only used by Chanel but by a lot of advertising as it relates to the idea that 'sex sells'. I thought these images were quite nice although not a lot can be said about the colour choices or what is going on in the actual image as there is not a lot featured in the photograph. 


I was quite drawn to this image of Jean Shrimpton, photographed by Helmut Newton in 1971. I think this is because I liked the image of the model inside the bottle of No.5, it could be said that this is referring that whats inside the bottle of the 



1964 CHANEL No.5 PERFUME COLOGNE Photo Pretty Woman ORIGINAL AD 1960's.
Above are images I found when looking into older advertisements for the No.5 perfume. As you can see the brand needed more text to describe what they were selling at this time, as they would not have been as well known as they are now. I think the top image is quite charming, I like the way the tag line rhymes and I am presuming that this is when Chanel started bottling No.5 in a pump bottle instead of the traditional one. I liked the image below as I felt it was different to any other I had seen as the images of the bottles were placed over the model. Again I like the way the tag line rhymes. The styling would be fitting with the time of the advertisement and the models look to fit the traditional 'Chanel look'

Finally I decided to research some advertisements for Chanel No.5 that include the product alone. Although I will not be creating an advertisement like this I thought it would help me with the sort of placement of the product for when I shoot my own. Below are some older images and a more recent one. The bottle is obviously the most important element in these images, this is something Chanel is able to do as essentially they do not need a famous face to sell their products as they are so widely known and loved.




No comments:

Post a Comment