Sunday 6 March 2016

Research into SS16 Catwalk trends: Makeup.

In preparation for creating my own catwalk looks in the style of Chanel, I decided it would be wise to research the current SS16 makeup and hair trends. This is a crucial part of the designing process of the looks as although the designs I create have to look like they would be featured in a real life Chanel show, they do not have to be exactly the same as the makeup and hair that has already ben featured.
Researching this has given me a lot of inspiration and ideas on what my own designs can look like and has definitely given me an insight into the style I would like to go down.

SPRING SUMMER 2016 CATWALK TRENDS: MAKEUP.
The trends that kept cropping up when looking into the makeup from SS16 collections included; doll eyes and long spidery eyelashes for example this look from the Marni collection.
Waddinton, J . (2016). 10 MFW Beauty Trends . Available: http://www.elle.co.za/10-mfw-beauty-trends/. Last accessed 3rd March 2016.

From this look you can see that the skin has been kept very natural looking, the finish is dewy and this gives the overall appearance a fresh feel. The main focus of this look is the eyes, long false lashes have been applied and this gives the look a doll eyed feeling in which the eyes look quite wide and innocent looking. The lips have been left natural and the only thing that looks to have been applied is a balm. Finally the eyebrows have been groomed, however are not over drawn or filled in. I like this look as I am a fan of the fresh faced look however I think I would like to incorporate a little more colour to my own designs.

Another example of the focus of the look being the eyes is the 'broken doll' look seen at DAK's from London Fashion Week. 
Hunwick, S . (2016). INSPO! M.A.C delivers the makeup trends for SS16 . Available: http://www.professionalbeauty.com.au/2016/02/05/makeup-must-read-m-a-c-delivers-the-trends-for-ss16/. Last accessed 3rd March 2016.

“We have to stop thinking about lashes all going in the one direction,” Mackie - Professionalbeauty.com
It is clear from the statement about the look from one of the makeup artists that this was all about breaking rules and the unexpected, there is something about clumpy lashes that does not look good, however I do like this look. I think by keeping the skin matte and minimal the eyes are not competing with anything else on the face. I also think the shape of the lashes fits well with what the model is wearing as the shapes on her shirt remind me of the lashes. I think this look is very playful, fun and brings a different look to what viewers would expect to see. 

FRESH FACE:
An example of fresh faces on the catwalk would be this look from Gucci.
I like this look, the skin looks flawless, youthful and like nothing has been done to it. The model seems to not be wearing any mascara either adding to this youthful feel. However I do find this look a little boring, this is because it looks very plain. I understand that this is a trend for catwalk makeup, however other looks stand out and appeal to me more. 

Another example of the fresh faced look would be the Victoria Beckham collection.
Yasmin. (2016). NYFW SS16 Makeup Roundup . Available: http://www.yasminstefanie.com/2015/09/nyfw-ss16-makeup-roundup.html. Last accessed 3rd March 2016.

This is different to the look from Gucci as the skin looks dewy whereas the skin from Gucci looks to be more matte. I prefer this look to the one from Gucci as I like the eyebrows, although they have been brushed up in places to give them an ungroomed feel I think they still look sleek. Furthermore I like this look because the brows are bold and this gives something for the eyes to focus on. Finally the model looks to be wearing a little mascara, however nothing major, this giving the overall look a youthful feel.

Here is another look by Balmain fitting with the 'fresh face' trend from SS16.
Paracscan, N . (2016). 11 Stunning beauty looks from Paris that you need to see. Available: http://www.fashionising.com/beauty/b--best-makeup-paris-ss16-93862.html. Last accessed 3rd March 2016.

This look is my favourite example as dewy, glowing skin really appeals to me. This look I feel was all about creating a glowing feel to the skin, every part of the skin on show that would hit the light has been made to glow, this is clear from the fact that in the picture you can see shin even on the collar bones. The eyes look to have a hint of eye shadow on them, probably in a brown neutral colour and the lips again look untouched however probably have a balm on them adding to the dewy feel. Sometimes with these looks they often seem to look sweaty, however I feel that this has struck the right balance and the overall look is very youthful, sun kissed and glowing. 


GRAPHIC LINER:
Another SS16 trend would be graphic liner, an example of this would be this look from Chanel.
Staff . (2016). Draw the lines: Chanel Haute Couture SS16 makeup.Available: http://www.buro247.sg/beauty/trends/chanel-haute-couture-ss16-makeup-liner.html. Last accessed 3rd March 2016. 

This look has been dubbed the 'Star Wars' look due to the croissant shaped chignons. I think this look is very striking and beautiful. The precision on the eyeliner is so well executed and is very appealing to the eyes. The skin looks flawless and has been given a slight bronze under the cheekbones. The lips from this look were finished off with a nude colour lipstick and the brows have been groomed into their natural shape. Obviously the main focus on this look was the eyeliner. The eyes have been lined three times, once on the actual top lash line, once following the shape of the eye socket and once underneath the eyes. I feel this look was quite different to the other looks I have seen and although there seems to be a lot going on the overall feel to this look is very elegant and quite regal. 

BLUE:
An undeniable trend from SS16 was the colour blue. This ranged from pastel blue eye shadow to bright blue eyeliner. 
An example of this trend would be this look from Marc Jacobs. 
Shapouri. (2016). Marc Jacobs SS16 beauty look. Available: http://www.glamour.com/lipstick/blogs/girls-in-the-beauty-department/2015/09/here-it-is-the-most-anticipate. Last accessed 3rd March 2016.

 I really liked this look, however it is not something that I would would wear on a day to day basis, however I like when brands choose to shock and break the rules on the catwalk as it gives the audience something exciting to look at. The main factors from this look was the clumpy eye lashes and the blue/brown wet look shadow. The skin was kept natural, however was given a flush of colour with the blush on the cheeks. I feel that this look embodies spring/summer as when I think of SS I think about pastel colours, bright colours and floaty materials. 

Missoni:
Howard, E . (2016). Beauty how to: SS16 best makeup trends .Available: http://www.buro247.sg/beauty/trends/working-the-ss-2016-makeup-trends.html. Last accessed 3rd March 2016.

This look from Missoni was very intense, however I feel it hold connotations that I would usually associate with summer, this being the turquoise colour. This bright colour on the eyes fits well with the accessories from the collection as the gold and blue compliment each other well. The skin from this look is again natural, yet looks sun kissed and the brows look ungroomed. The eyebrows work well with the eye shadow as although they are bold, the fact that they have been brushed up gives them a softer feel that does not take away from the harsh, intense eye shadow shape.

Roksanda:
Niven, L . (2016). LFW: Blue Eyed Girl.. Available: http://www.vogue.co.uk/beauty/2015/09/22/lfw-blue-eyed-girl-spring-summer-2016-beauty-trend. Last accessed 3rd March 2016.

This look from Roksanda at London Fashion Week was very pretty. I love the smoked out turquoise colour as I feel this is eye catching yet soft. As usual the skin is minimal and the eyebrows have been groomed but are not too bold. This is again a good example of the looks that were seen on the SS16 catwalks and is something that has a summery feel to it as the colour makes me think of the sun and being on holiday.

Chanel:
Niven, L . (2016). LFW: Blue Eyed Girl.. Available: http://www.vogue.co.uk/beauty/2015/09/22/lfw-blue-eyed-girl-spring-summer-2016-beauty-trend. Last accessed 3rd March 2016.

This was one of the looks that stood out to me the most when it came to the colour blue. The overall theme to the Chanel SS16 catwalk show was very futuristic and sleek/clean looking. The show featured a lot of white, colours and silver and this was reflected through the makeup. Some of the models were wearing large sunglasses, however others had this blue colour around their eyes, which reminds me of the shape of the glasses. I like this pastel colour blue as I feel it is not too strong and was a fun way to show the models who were not featuring the sunglasses.



No comments:

Post a Comment