Thursday 18 February 2016

The top 10 campaigns of the season.

http://www.businessoffashion.com/articles/opinion/top-10-campaigns-spring-summer-2016

When reading this article I noticed I preferred some of the campaigns to others, however from an artistic view I thought they were all clever and innovative.


1) Marc Jacobs.
Marc Jacobs Spring/Summer 2016 Campaign | Source: Courtesy.
When reading about the campaign I liked the idea of it, I think the fact that Marc Jacobs used people who have inspired him and his work in the campaign is quite charming. Jacobs posting each image of the campaign separately on social media is a clever way to promote the collection and brand as the audience will be waiting in anticipation to see what is coming next. In terms of the image above, I think it is sweet and playful. I feel that the clothing looks very conservative whereas the hair totally contrasts this by being light pink and in dreadlocks. I also like the element of story telling that this campaign has, by using these people the audience and consumer will gain information about Jacobs that they may not have known, for example who he looks up to and who inspires him and this will lead them to feel as though they understand him and know him. This was a good way to link the brand and designer to their audience and would improve the relationship between them therefore they will invest in the brand.
Valentino Spring/Summer 2016 Campaign | Source: Courtesy.
When I saw this image I liked the campaign. I think this is because I love the idea of travelling and this makes me think of all the places I have not been. When I think of Africa, I think of the animals and the bright coloured clothing I have seen. When I see this image I think of it being late in the afternoon/evening due to the look of the sun on the models face and the fact that she is wearing a heavy necklace and jewelled clutch type bag as if she were going out. I think the yellow colour of the dress is a nice touch against the models skin and although bright, is not too bright to take away from the model and breathtaking background.

3) Balmain. 
Balmain Spring/Summer 2016 Campaign | Source: Courtesy.
This campaign was one of my favourite images from the top 10 campaigns article. I always like the power that black and white images often have. An element that I like about this campaign was that the brand has used the famous models in the images. The three models do not need any introduction as they have earned their famous status. My favourite image was the one on the left, I like this because of the dominant pose that one model has over the other does not take away from the other model, they both look very strong. I feel that the bright lighting works well with the poses and I am a fan of Balmain as the clothing always looks very fierce and powerful.

4) Gucci.

Gucci Spring/Summer 2016 Campaign | Source: Courtesy.
This was also one of my favourite images from the top 10 campaigns article. I liked this because of the back story to the campaign, this was that there was a rooftop party in Berlin in the 70's. This image reminds me of summer because of the sun set in the background and the bright colours the models are wearing. I think this campaign is a scene that many people would think of when it comes to fashion, this being that there are a group of 'cool' attractive male and females all together. Even though the clothes are not something that I would personally wear I do really like them and am fond of the shoes the girls are wearing. This image would attract the audience as it would lead them to want to be where the models are, do what they are doing and wear the clothing they are. The whole image taps into the idea of wanting to be, young, carefree and having a fun time.

5) Raf Simons.
Raf Simons Spring/Summer 2016 Campaign | Source: Courtesy.
I wasn't too fond of these images, however there are elements to the campaign that I liked the idea of. Firstly I liked the fact that the designer had used something personal and close to him for his first collection. This would give the audience details and a background on the brand they are buying into. More often than not luxury brands are an investment and the audience may be happier spending their money on brands that the feel they know and love. The styling of the models hair is a contrast to the very neat and clean cut shirt and jacket he is wearing, although this is not something I like, however this is personal preference. 

Louis Vuitton Spring/Summer 2016 Campaign | Source: Courtesy.
I did not like this campaign, I am not into the whole anime type characters however I can appreciate the designing and amount of time that would have gone into this campaign as they have worked with a video game designer. I think the only element I liked about this campaign was the pink against the black as this is adding a softness to the overall hard aesthetic. One thing that I appreciate about this campaign is that it is embracing and making use of the digital age may viewers have become consumed and obsessed with.

7) J.W Anderson.

I think the designer of this brand has been extremely brave with the way the direction they have decided to go with this campaign. More often than not fashion brands want to go big with their campaigns they want to catch the eye of potential consumers and wow them with every element of their images and campaigns, this would then draw in more potential business. However this campaign grabs the audiences' attention in a different way. The idea behind this campaign was that in a digitally consumed age with everything becoming 'bigger and better' than it was before this image causes you to stop looking at your phone and take a closer look and engage with the image in front of you. This idea is clever as the audience may not be able to see the image very well and would possibly Google or look into the image further, this causes a buzz around the brand. This was the campaign that stood out to me as it was so different to the rest of the campaigns.

8) Equipment.

Equipment Spring/Summer 2016 Campaign | Source: Courtesy.
One thing that I liked about this campaign was learning that the spring/summer images follow on from the autumn/winter ones, this makes the campaign feel like an on going story and will draw in the audience as they will want to know the next set of pictures that follow on in the story. I liked the story that went with the campaign as it was not a conventional male/female love story and embraced the 21st Century love dynamics. Another element that I liked was that Kate Moss was wearing the mens wear shirt, this means that the brand is noting that the lines between what fashion should be for a man and for a women are becoming blurred and the industry is embracing having 'gender fluid' clothing lines.

9) Céline. 
Céline Spring/Summer 2016 Campaign | Source: Courtesy.
I am very fond of this campaign by Céline. I was fond of the scrapbook idea and that the models look to have been cut out of magazines and put into a scrapbook. This makes me think of young girls and cutting out their inspirations and who they look up to and putting it in their scrapbook which I feel is a nice idea. I liked the styling of the models in this campaign, on the right image I like the flash of red against the white and black and the fur coat makes me think of luxury. On the left I like the harshness of the stone that the model is sitting on against the soft colour nude and the freeness of the dress she is wearing. Furthermore I found the idea behind the campaign nice, this was that the Céline woman is changing and she can essentially be anything she wants to be. Finally I like the minimalistic feel this campaign has, the focus is solely on the model and the clothes she is wearing.

10) Dior Homme.
Dior Homme Spring/Summer 2016 | Source: InDigital.tv.
The idea behind this campaign is something that I found nice, the fact that the brand is touching on a range of different creative industries such as song writing, sculpting and music production in the campaign is nice as it highlights all creative paths. I also like that this campaign has a video that goes with it as this is tapping into the resource of digital means to promote the brand and the collection.
I find the image to the right something I expect when looking at mens fashion campaigns, the clean cut well dressed man creates a persona of being successful and wealthy that will entice the audience and aspire to be like the characters in the campaign and video.

Reading this article has given me an insight into just what goes into creating a fashion campaign, seeing the list of names who have been involved in the designing and creating process of these shows this. I have also taken inspiration from this in terms of the colours and aesthetic look I could go for when creating my own editorial and advertising images according to my brief.

No comments:

Post a Comment